What We Do
A Well-Fed World is a hunger relief and animal protection organization chipping away at two of the world’s most immense, unnecessary and unconscionable forms of suffering… the suffering of people hungry from lack of food, and the suffering of animals used and abused for food.
We have a positive, practical, and action-led approach that produces immediate assistance for those in need and structural change for lasting results.
In addition to our direct programs, we raise funds, partner with, and promote innovative, highly effective projects that strengthen:
- plant-based feeding & farming programs
- farm animal care & rescue efforts
- vegan advocacy & community building
Mending Our Food System
Mending our unjust food system is a critical part of solving the world’s most destructive and persistent problems.
Fortunately, the plant-based foods that promote health and well-being are the same foods that conserve resources to better feed the world, while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and protecting the environment.
It’s a win-win-win situation, but the process is hindered by culture/habit, inadequate nutrition education, and vested interests.
A Well-Fed World provides the means for change by empowering individuals, social justice organizations, and political decisionmakers to embrace the benefits of plant-based foods and farming.
Eating Well is Eating Green:
- Maximizing plant-based foods – Minimizing animal products.
- Maximizing whole foods – Minimizing processed food.
- Maximizing organic foods – Minimizing “conventional” pesticide-laden foods.
- Maximizing local/sustainable farming – Minimizing long-distance transport.
- Maximizing nutritious food choices – Minimizing junk foods.
- We are both a hunger relief and animal protection organization that promotes the benefits of plant-based food choices and veg-friendly policies.
- We provide funding and material assistance in the U.S. and globally to immediately empower groups helping people and animals in need.
- We create original research and publications, and use targeted outreach to advance structural change for far-reaching, long-term benefits.
- We connect with a broad range of social justice organizations around eating green in general and reducing animal consumption in particular.
Our Plant-Based Focus
We highlight the benefits of reducing (ideally eliminating) the consumption of animal-sourced foods because of its:
immense and immediate potential for positive change
relative ease in implementing
compatibility with other reforms
Many environmental, health, and food justice organizations acknowledge the benefits of reducing U.S. and global meat consumption, but resist advocating solutions that may be unpopular and risk alienating their member base.
More and more, however, the idea of ‘kicking the meat habit’ is becoming mainstream. In addition to more people adopting vegetarian and vegan diets, partial measures are increasingly popular. Some examples include: Meatout Mondays, Vegan Before 6:00, and the PB&J Campaign.
While partial steps taken on a large scale can make a meaningful improvement, those who implement the greenest vegan choices, make the greatest impact… the benefits are proportional for the greater good.
That’s why AWFW promotes both the ideal, as well as incremental change. We encourage caring consumers to step up to the challenge as much as possible. The more change, the greater the impact.
We also focus on making individual and societal change easier by supporting institutions and policies that increase the accessibility of healthy food options and to improve nutrition education.
At every meal, many of us have the power (and, thus, the responsibility) to make choices that improve our own health; as well as, the common good for other people, animals, and the environment.